NORBURY WHARF LIMITED

NORBURY WHARF LIMITED
Shop front in the summer

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Its disapeared!

Sorry if you were looking for the blog last night and couldn't find it, I honestly sat here and typed it before I locked up and went home, Honest guv!! I really don't know what has happened to it, usually if it has not been posted it will save a copy, but it wasn't even saved so I don't know!

It has been a busy couple of days and the sun has been shining here at Norbury, we have definitely seen an increase in the traffic on the canal over the last couple of days, the wharf has been non stop which has kept Fred busy,we have even run out of diesel today, don't worry folks its only on the one pump and I have a fresh delivery coming in first thing in the morning, the usual has gone on today with docking and undocking of boats, boats in for different jobs etc, but it has been quiet on the work force front as Steve is off with a bad elbow, Lee is on holiday, Mick is on his two days off, Jay is on a course and David is still on holiday!

I had a lovely conversation today with a gentleman who follows our blog, he wandered in and asked for me, I was a little hesitant in my reply as you never know I might have owed him some money! but I didn't, it transpires that he follows our blog and he popped in for a chat about buying a boat, it was a nice chat as he grew up by the Wyrley and Essington canal near Walsall Wood which is the first canal that I had a boat on so we took a walk down memory canal (lane) for a short while, it re kindled some of my enthusiasm for the black country canals, Thanks Graham!

If any of you who read this blog have not ventured on to the BCN (Birmingham Canal Navigation's) then it is a must before it changes for ever, it is one of the few places left where you get a real sense of what the canals and the industrial history is all about, you do have to look hard for evidence of the link between old industry and the canals but going on to canals like the W&E, the Walsall canal, The Tame Valley canal, to mention a few, will give you an insight in to the fascinating past.

I spent a lot of time cruising around the BCN when I had my first boat back in the eighties/nineties, I was fortunate to meet some of the 'old canal company' employees who were retired boatmen, they had a wealth of knowledge and some very funny stories as well, sometimes I miss that life before, the almost free lifestyle when BWB didn't seem to mind if you had been around too long, there seemed a much more relaxed feel to the canal system then , I suspect that people from an older generation would say that it was even more relaxed back in the sixties and seventies!

Anyway back to today and its about time I went home, until tomorrow.
Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment