NORBURY WHARF LIMITED

NORBURY WHARF LIMITED
Shop front in the summer

Thursday 5 January 2012

One way or another

Today is my first day back since New Year's eve. I've been quite lucky this year as my days off have fallen just right with the days that we have been closed or on minimum staff. I'm sure that Simon will get me back sometime during the year - I'm just waiting for him to announce that he is off on holiday next week (mind you he has gone home early)...

I had a good New Year's eve. At the last minute I decided to join some friends in the New Inn at Buckby, Northamptonshire. I proceeded to join them for a couple of days boating before returning to my own boat and getting on with some jobs. Here's a picture of Sue and I descending one of the locks in the flight at Braunston under the watchful eye of boatman Ron Withey. The boats are Sue's ex-GUCCCo Thea and South Midland Water Transport's Kangaroo which was built by Yarwood's of Northwich for Fellows, Morton and Clayton and can be seen captained by Lawrence Williams regularly around the canal system throughout the year.


It was incredibly windy again in the night and we had some quite torrential down pours. Listening to the weather forecast it sounds like there may be a bit of ice about tonight, so be careful if you are out and about.

Well it's been a busy day here one way or another. Not with passing boats, but with catching up with where everyone has got to and with work on the boats. Technology can also delay proceedings... My computer decided it wasn't going to send any emails (it's obviously become lazy) so that took me about an hour to sort!

First job this morning was to grain the rear cabin doors for both Phantom and Phoenix. We are abit short of time to get these done so I did pop in yesterday afternoon to apply the base coat. I'll give them a coat of varnish in the morning and then they will have the Roses and Castles applied and a few coats of varnish before the boats go out a week on Saturday. I'll take a picture and post it for you when they are back on the boat.

Graham has also returned today after his long Christmas break as did Lorraine yesterday. Everyone has been busy with winter maintenance today. Matt is making a good job of sprucing Sovereign Lady up. It's amazing how a bit of paint and polish really brightens a boat up and transforms it into a real gem. Fred has been varnishing and delivering coal. Bernard has been servicing engines and Lorraine has been outside cleaning.

We have bid both off our Motorhomes a fair well today too. For those of you that have kept an eye on our hire boat website (www.norburyhire.co.uk) will have noticed that we had removed them for the forthcoming season. They have done two years service and I am sorry to see them go, but we need to focus our efforts on the hire fleet as it is quickly expanding.

Well that's about it from me today.

Regards,

David.

No comments:

Post a Comment